Thread: Prescribing ?
View Single Post
Old 27th February 2002, 01:10 PM

sreischman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Dr. Saboor,

This is always an interesting question. Lets start with the basis of criteria. I think that comes into play when analysing the case and deciding which rubrics to use. In practice, when someone comes in with an acute, I determine that if it is a flair up of a chronic problem, in which case I try to go a little deeper than if it is a true acute. I also suggest that they return when they are better for a constitutional case study. With some chronics, if there is tissue involement, then I get more clinical and go to remedies affecting that tissue, but still look at the full case. If a few well prescribed remedies don't work, then I look at blocks, which include, but are not limited to miasms. I always use a single remedy except when I am using Ramakrishnan's protocol.

Next lets look at the basis of doses. I try to let a remedy work until the action is complete. How long that is mostly depends on the potency and the virulence of the problem. So for chronic problems treated with high potencies, I would usully only give one dose and wait. In some cases, where a person tends to be non-reactive, I've given three doses about 12 hours apart and then wait. For acutes, multiple doses, increasing the time between doses as the person feels better.

Lastly is the potency. I generally give high potencies unless:
1) the person is very weak
2) I have reason to believe the remedy will be antidoted (and even then, I often give a high potency and then switch to low if I see that it really does get antidoted - sometimes it doesn't)
3) If I'm not real sure of the remedy, I'll give a low potency. Usually this happens in acutes, such as colds.
4) If I'm sure of the remedy in an acute, I will give high
5) For chronic, I usually start in the middle because I want room to go up in potency over time.
6) I generally go up in potency, but if a person had a good response to the first potency, but then doesn't respond to the higher and the same remedy is still indicated, I will go lower
7) If the person seems especially sensitive, I will give the dose in water, otherwise, I give it dry.

The more chronic the problem, the more case notes I usually have and the more analysis I usually need to do in order to determine which rubrics I am going to use and what method I think is best for the person. I also usually start with the more classical approach and only deviate from that in the cases where I don't get a good response.

I hope that has addressed the questions you've asked.

Shirley Reischman